Technology Work Samples

Technology Work Sample #1: A 3D Lesson Plan on Financial Literacy

Using the 3D design tool Tinkercad I came up with the idea of creating a 3D Model cash register, calculator, dollar bills, and coins as well as some trinkets.  The intended purpose and goal for the 3D models was to teach elementary/ middle school students the basic principles of financial literacy.  This enables students to use their imagination to create real-life scenario/ problems about where they will apply their financial literacy skills.  Students come up with want and need list.  Once the list is generated, it helps students identify and classify different items based on category.  For example, a cheeseburger would fall into the food category whereas a toy car would fall into the entertainment category.  The cash register and calculator are a great way for students understand basic economics and math functions (Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division).

As a future educator, I am not ashamed of trying out new ideas to learn about what can make me a better teacher.  More importantly, I want my students learn because I care deeply about their success. I try to make my lesson plans engaging and culturally relevant as possible.  In addition, I constantly think about how students can draw connections between our lecture to something that can be explored outside of class. I am proud and happy to share my own experiences with students.  I encourage students to talk to me about any technology tools that will enhance their learning.

The adage: “The greatest lesson I have learned in life is that I still have a lot to learn.” is the key to my teaching philosophy.

Look at my lesson plan here.

Look at my 3D Project here.

Below is a screenshot of my 3D Project on Tinkercad.

Technology Work Sample #2: A Digital Story

Since the beginning of humanity, stories have circulated from one generation to the next. Because of manuscript and orality culture, stories have played a crucial role in society. Stories have shaped and impacted the readership for many individuals.  

In this work sample, I used the digital storytelling tool Storyboard.  Storyboard is a useful tool that allows teachers and students to illustrate as well as narrate with their own creative stories.  In addition, Storyboard comes with an array of animated avatars to bring the stories to life. The site is very interactive and collaborative.  Everyone can contribute to it. Storyboard can be used to convey stories on a wide array of issues and promotes social justice in the classroom.  The greatest benefit of storyboard is how user-friendly it is.

For example, I created a story with my classmates Billy Davis and Sarah Delisca.  It is geared towards younger children in elementary school who want to learn about social justice.  We made the story as easy possible to comprehend without any complex jargon. The characters all modeled after all our physical appearances.  

With tons of interactive animations, students are sure to be intrigued.  It will give students the opportunity to be their own personal author. Storyboard is a student’s own personal graphic novel that can resonate with anyone.  Students have the liberty to create whatever they want and builds upon their reading, literacy, and comprehension skills.

Below is a screenshot of the story my peers and I created: